Check out Leo’s blogpost on procrastination (while you’re at it: his posts on forming good habits are also great).
So, essentially what Leo’s post boils down to for me (you might have a different take-away):
What does it mean to have “No Procrastinaton”? Does that mean an unbroken stream of work from waking until bed?
It means I’m going to define things I can’t procrastinate on, even for a minute, and set a time period I have to work without distraction. And after that work period, I get a break.
An example: Let’s say the next thing on my list is to write a chapter of my book. I set a timer for 20 minutes, and I have to start right away, and work without cessation until the timer goes off. Only then can I check email or do any online reading, though I can work longer if I’m in a groove.
Because I don’t have a whole day and several projects, I’ll be stricter with social media.My rules for the next 35 working “days”, based on Leo’s but moulded for my situation, are:
- List my Most Important Task. I have to pick 1 thing from my “Do this week!”-board for that day.
- Do it early. As soon as I start my working day, I will write for the chosen project without stopping for 50 minutes.
- Do only empowering breaks. I’ll do 15 minutes break, but without Facebook, Pinterest. I can do yoga, prepare a coffee, water the plants outside.
- After fifteen minutes, I do the next writing-bit, for about 30 minutes. I’ll play around with duration of the writing sprints depending on project.
- Next break. Rules see above.
- Next round of writing, this time for the 2nd project on my list, for 40 minutes.
- Break. This time, Facebook, E-Mail, Pinterest etc. allowed.
- The rest. I now should have about two hours, give or take, left of my morning. Now I’ll turn to the “other stuff” on the board (bills, text feedback, emails) and to household chores.
- Every day I manage the schedule, will be one token for reward. ((I have a private list set up at Amazon where I add stuff I’d love to have and how many tokens it’s worth. Books, LARP accys, elfish jewelry. Lots of Etsy finds :-))
- If there’s a “higher force” (kids sick etc.) and I don’t meet my quota, nothing happens. For every day I mess up without external interference, I pay back one token into the stash.
This is based on how I work during NaNoWriMo in November and when I am close to a deadline for a project.What do you think? How’s your battle with procrastination going? Want to join me for a final writing sprint before summer vacation?